Our vision & goals
We want to use our solar-powered LED light to create a better, cleaner, more educated, brighter and safer world for everybody.
We believe in protecting our planet and in empowering the less fortunate people living on it.
Not by hand-outs, but by hand-ups: enabling them to solve problems themselves. Mostly all that needs to be done is lowering barriers, and their ingenuity and hard work will take care of the rest.
Our main goal is to replace all kerosene lamps by solar-powered LED lights, in order to help solve no less than 10 main problems using the benefits that our inventive Solar light brings:
- Reduce poverty: by lowering household spending on kerosene for lighting (and therefore also reduce national imports)
- Increase health: by removing toxic and dangerous kerosene from households
- Prevent fire hazards: by replacing dangerous kerosene lights
- Enable students: help them to study better & more without exposure to toxic fumes
- Save our planet: by reducing usage of fossil fuels, deforestation and pollution
- Increase income: alleviating poverty even more, in a positive way
- Empower women: promote gender equality and opportunities for women & girls
- Empower local communities: by enabling them to run their own solar businesses
- Increase safety: by bringing light to the houses and communities
- Educate: about the benefits of solar power and other alternative energies, for both the people and nature.
Click on the links above or on the images at the bottom of each page to learn more about these benefits our solar-powered LED lights bring to developing as well as to developed countries.
Selling vs donating lights
We will sell the lights as cheap as possible. This means that our light will cost the equivalent of about USD $6 – $10, covering all development, production, transportation, importation and distribution costs. The exact price will depend on local factors, such as order size, import costs, taxes etc.
Local distributors can increase the prices slightly to ensure their profit, but our aim is to have the lights priced so low that they can be earned back quickly.
Some people will be able to afford this right away, others will need to use a micro-credit opportunity to borrow the amount needed, which will be paid back from savings in kerosene spending, usually within one month.
We will limit donations to 3 areas:
- Initial lights: these are the first lights in an area or country. As the concept of Solar-power is unknown to many people , we have discovered that our (and other solar-) lights might be regarded incorrectly as battery-powered. After these initial seed lights have proven themselves, demand for them rises naturally when all benefits are discovered and shared.
- Extremely poor areas: most people will be able to invest in our lights or pay them back from kerosene savings. But still there will be people in poor areas that simply cannot afford kerosene and live in the dark. We want to make sure that everybody is able to get Solar-powered light in their home and will reserve lights to be donated to this group.
- Emergency lights. We work with NGO’s and if needed, we will donate lights to them as they know best how to handle the direct needs of emergencies, refugee camps etc.
- 1 Alleviate poverty Reduce poverty by saving 25% of household costs!
- 2 Health benefits removing toxic and dangerous kerosene from households
- 3 Prevent fire hazards Kerosene lamps are leading cause of house fires
- 4 Enabling education Students can study better & longer, more money for books
- 5 Save our planet Stop global warming, deforestation and pollution
- 6 Increase income Light at night can create additional income streams
- 7 Empowering women LED lights create a brighter future for women and girls
- 8 Empower communities Light generates joint income, offers new possibilities
- 9 Increase safety bringing light in houses and community
- 10 Solar education Teach students and entrepreneurs about solar