The solution: our light
The Solar Muscle, our solar-powered LED light
We are proud to present the Solar Muscle, our FSS solar-powered LED light, developed in Australia & Argentina, made in China and used in Africa and the rest of the world.
It is incredible but true:
our simple light has already done more for several thousands of African and Asian families than extensive and focused international aid programs.
See the benefits of our design and the specifications below or download the Solar-Muscle Fact Sheet (PDF, 395KB)
Simple but powerful: 10 benefits
Its power and benefits compared to other lights come from its simplicity:
- Just one button: the on/off switch
- No moving or separate parts, no connectors needed
- Easy to connect to walls, roofs using screws, wires or even sticks!
- Standard-sized batteries, easy to replace.
- Fully Solar powered
- Small and light
- Connectable: join more lights when needed!
- Weather- & shockproof
- Most important: bright & affordable: earned back in a month of kerosene savings!
Ad 1: Just one button: ‘OFF’ switches the light Off and charges the internal batteries using the Solar panel on the back. NEW: the new Solar Muscle offers 3 settings: Off, 50% on and 100% on!
Ad 2: No separate parts that need to be connected. The Solar panel is integrated (the back side) and connected internally. This means the light is stronger, smaller and more useful.
Ad 3: Easy to use anywhere: The case has 4 strong holes, it is up to the user if they want to fix it, hang it or even carry it.
Ad 4: Standard batteries. The light is ready to go and should last over 500 charges (we guarantee 1 year, but usually they last 1-2 years or even longer). Only once the standard-sized rechargeable batteries will lose their ability to recharge, the case needs to be opened. This is very easy (4 standard screws hidden beneath rubber covers) and the standard sized AAA batteries can easily be replaced, allowing the light to function for many years!
By that time the average family will have saved about $100-$300, which will have been multiplied due to the positive side effects (extra work & studying that has been made possible, improved safety & health etc).
Ad 5: Fully Solar-powered, no useless grid input: a grid charging input would be one more thing that can break. It would also be an entry point for water and dust while being useless for most users as over 90% of Africans and many people in other developing nations live off the grid anyway. Sunshine is basically guaranteed though! Note that the light charges just as good (sometimes even better as the solar panel stays cooler) on overcast days.
On a full charge the light lasts 6-8 hours before dimming slowly or up to 12-15 hours on the 50% setting! For most families this is enough for 2-3 nights of light.
Ad 6: Small and light The light is easy and light enough to carry inside the house, in or on a back pack or to hang on a thin wire or even hold it in your hand. It fits in a shirt pocket or in your pants! It is perfect for emergency packs, whether distributed by NGOs, in refugee camps or simply at home in the western world.
For NGOs, distributors and other large orders: we can now fit over 2700 lights in a single m3 (35ft3) so you save on shipping and storage costs and space needed. This makes the Solar Muscle the most affordable solar-powered LED light available.
Ad 7: Connectable: NEW! the new Solar Muscle allows many units to connect together so you will have even more light when needed!
When friends, family and other social groups get together for meetings or just a family dinner, they can easily bring their Solar Muscles and click them together. It makes it easier to charge more lights at the same time as well.
Ad 8: Weather and shockproof
Our new light can stand a strong rain shower, hail or dust. We redesigned it to have a rubber sealing and the LED’s are now inside the case, covered by a full layer of transparent plastic. The materials are stronger than the old light and a drop onto concrete is not a problem!
Ad 9: Brandable: for larger orders the Solar Muscle can be branded with your own logo and even the casing can be made in your own colours. Price and delivery time depends on order size, but this is a great way to donate or sell your own Solar Muscles!
Ad 10: bright & affordable. The most important aspect is that our light is several times brighter than home-made kerosene lamps without any of the negative aspects of kerosene -even at the 50% setting! Prices depend on exact location and amounts shipped (due to different shipping and import and distribution costs). Families typically spend several dollars per week on kerosene for lighting, so it will earn itself back quickly after which it saves 25-30% of household costs!
We do our best to provide lights for even less (and we have donated many as well) for emergency situations and refugee camps.
The light already includes the 3 standard-sized rechargeable batteries (delivered pre-charged. so the light is ready to go). In most countries the rechargeable batteries alone would cost much more!
Economic and durable
For many families the cost of a FSS light is earned back within one month, while the rechargeable batteries will take hundreds of charges and can be easily replaced when needed. The light itself will last for many years more with normal usage.
We have found that the usage is not limited to the African nights. We use them as reading lights and as portable lights to light up those dark corners in the house and more!
Our lights have already been used to light up mountain huts, houses in Patagonia during power cuts and they have helped lower electricity bills in Australia!
Our solar-powered LED lights bring immediate and important benefits.
The lights are already great as they are, but also their impact is wonderful. Please check the images at the bottom of this page (scroll to see all of them) or the links on the right side of this page. Each one will take you to a major benefit our lights bring to the communities that already use them.
Specifications of the new Solar Muscle
See the specifications below or download the Solar-Muscle Fact Sheet (PDF, 395KB)
Size and weight:
- Size per unit: 9x9x2.5cm – (3.5×3.5×1 inch)
- Weight per unit: 120grams (4.2 Oz)
- Shipping size (60 units per box): 32x30x22cm (13x12x9 inch)
- Shipping weight (one box : 60 units) 8.8 kgs (19.4 Lbs) (packaged)
- Units per m3 (35ft3): +/- 2750 lights (depending on packaging requirements)
- Weight (fully packaged) per m3 (35ft3): +/-400 kgs (900 lbs)
- Batteries: 3x 1.2volts/600mAh
- Size/type: AAA size – Rechargeable – NiMH – Low Self Discharge – 500+ charge cycles
- LEDs: 12 new Superbright LEDs
- Light intensity:2300 -3000 mcd per LED max
- Viewing angle per LED: 100 degrees
- Lumens per LED: 4-5 (theoretical)
- Total Lumens: 48-60 (theoretical) 24,1 (Real, tested lumens). Note that most producers only mention the theoretical max lumens, not the real, laboratory tested output!
Triple Settings switch:
- 50% (6 LEDs on)
- 100% (all 12 LEDs on)
- Working voltage: 6 V
- Working current: 100 mA
- Max output: 0.6W
- Time to charge: 15hrs (based on 50% efficiency)
(Non-stop running time on full batteries, this can fluctuate and is dependent on age and usage of batteries)
- 6-8 hrs (full power)
- 10-15 hrs (50% power)
You can download the Solar-Muscle Fact Sheet (PDF, 395KB). Please contact us if you think you can help us, or sign up for our mailing list if you want to be informed about new projects and new products!
- 1 Alleviate poverty Reduce poverty by saving 25% of household costs!
- 2 Health benefits removing toxic and dangerous kerosene from households
- 3 Prevent fire hazards Kerosene lamps are leading cause of house fires
- 4 Enabling education Students can study better & longer, more money for books
- 5 Save our planet Stop global warming, deforestation and pollution
- 6 Increase income Light at night can create additional income streams
- 7 Empowering women LED lights create a brighter future for women and girls
- 8 Empower communities Light generates joint income, offers new possibilities
- 9 Increase safety bringing light in houses and community
- 10 Solar education Teach students and entrepreneurs about solar