Create additional income
More than ‘just’ savings
Switching from expensive kerosene to free solar energy does not just reduce poverty by reducing spending on fuel for lighting. It also helps to prevent costs due to less fire hazards, less theft and better health. These are all very needed removals of negative issues, but there are positive effects as well.
From our trials we found that once light is available and without cost, it will also be used to generate new income as well. Here are some real-world examples:
More time to work during the day
Kerosene is expensive and therefore often gets bought in very small quantities.
This means that often several times per week a family member (often the mother) need to walk to get it.
This can take several hours back and forth, time which could have been spend working for an income, either at home or elsewhere.
Shops that can stay open at night
Many shops have to close once daylight disappears. Unfortunately that is when many customers return from work themselves.
Local shops now can stay open longer, generating more income.
And of course our light will already have saved people a large part of their monthly income which can be spent in the shops.
Every new technology creates new entrepreneurs. There are now people that will service and repair our light where needed. New distributors will make money selling our light in hard to reach places. Smart business men will guard your light while it is charging if you live in a busy place.
Once the solar technology has proven itself to first-time customers, they come back for more as they want to replace the diesel generators as well, opening up opportunities for further solar business and products.
Increase education level
Our lights not only offer a safer and better way for school students to study. Also grownups now have a way to read, learn and improve their own educational level. They can even take courses offering a higher level of income due to access at new and higher-paid jobs, for example after learning a second language.
- 1 Alleviate poverty Reduce poverty by saving 25% of household costs!
- 2 Health benefits removing toxic and dangerous kerosene from households
- 3 Prevent fire hazards Kerosene lamps are leading cause of house fires
- 4 Enabling education Students can study better & longer, more money for books
- 5 Save our planet Stop global warming, deforestation and pollution
- 6 Increase income Light at night can create additional income streams
- 7 Empowering women LED lights create a brighter future for women and girls
- 8 Empower communities Light generates joint income, offers new possibilities
- 9 Increase safety bringing light in houses and community
- 10 Solar education Teach students and entrepreneurs about solar